Friday, November 22, 2013

Welcome - and an introduction

I should perhaps start by declaring that I am not a blogger, nor does the social media aspect of modern internet life come naturally to me.

I am, by profession, an Oracle Database Administrator and have been since 1992 when a kind CEO offered me a job as a "DBA".  Now, I had no idea what a DBA did; my prior experience with Oracle was with an AT&T Istel patient administration system in 1988 at a London hospital.  Of course I couldn't Google it and my only hope was one of the Oracle Forms developers (green screen) and the Oracle Version 6 Administrator Guide which was relatively thin.

Almost 22 years later, I'm still in the field in spite of a very nice offer from IBM for me to specialize in AIX.  Very glad to be here now, what with Exadata, Big Data Appliance, 12c and a host of features too numerous to mention.

I'm convinced that the role of the DBA is not going away any time soon - as naysayers and "thought leaders" have predicted over the past few years.  As more automation comes in, there's more complexity to manage; more products and features to learn, optimize and new roadblocks to overcome.
I recall in version 6 spending a lot of time managing rollback segments.  Now it's all automatic and yet I don't feel my role is any less relevant because I don't have to do that any more.

Of late I am very excited to have joined the Enkitec team where the brilliant minds of many Oracle Aces and Ace Directors have congregated.  I feel smarter just breathing the same air :)

So from time to time I will post something here about situations I've encountered, perhaps some useful SQL or techniques and maybe some of those head-scratching moments one has when faced with either mind boggling situations or just "WTF" moments.

You may also experience the odd photo.  Cat, dog or travel.  Or just bizarre.


For those interested, my photos are available at my Flickr site.

Enjoy!  And avoid those ORA-00600s.


No comments:

Post a Comment